Prompt: Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.I love travelling - visiting new places, being immersed in cultures a million miles away from those which I'm used to. I haven't done as much travelling as I would have liked, as a student it's almost a rite of passage that you go off and explore the world, but I haven't yet found the chance and want to rectify this in the next few years.
This year I visited Thailand for the second time and also my second Full Moon Party held on the tiny island of Koh Phangan, coincidentally my favourite place in Thailand. Since my first Full Moon Party the reputation of it has become huge, it's now a monthly institution attracting travellers from across the globe, offering a sort of Club 18 - 30 for adventurous types.
The sound of the pumping base of numerous speakers can be heard half way across the island, you approach by long tail boat gliding through dark still waters and turning into the bay, the beach glitters with a million fairy lights and bonfires.
Touching down on the sand I somehow found myself with bucket in hand, filled with dubious looking liquids poured from little brown glass bottles. Drifting from one pumping gathering to the next, the beach is dotted with fire tricks and DJs playing all sorts of repetitive, mesmerising music. Dancing. Jumping. Sweating.
Despite being terribly hardcore the previous time and staying until the sun came up, this year I was unfortunately a few years older and by about 3pm, I was ready to go home. Unfortunately, my friend and I had left the key to our hut with the reception for safe keeping which, of course, isn't manned at such an unGodly hour, so we ended up sleeping in hammocks on the beach until the sun came up and civilisation had awoken.




No comments:
Post a Comment