Thursday, 2 December 2010

Reverb10 2.12.10 - Writing


Writing. What do you do each day that doesn't contribute to your writing -- and can you eliminate it?
I'm not a writer, and I don't pretend to be. I got a B in 'A' Level English Lit despite my awesome essay on the significance of the paper weight in '1984.' I am however a creative person, and I cannot deny that creativity has been put on the back burner this year.

If I had to pinpoint the part of my day that doesn't contribute to my creativity, it would be the hours between 9-5 when I'm sitting behind a computer trying to organise and manage other people's lives. Unfortunately, eliminating this would result in me being deemed unemployed - not really an option. But what I can do is modify it; and next year will hopefully result in a new job more relative to my interests and skills.

Despite this cruel and unfair creative supression, I sometimes catch glimpses of my former arty-type tendancies rising to the surface of my temporarily straight-laced 9-5 life. This blog, for a start, is an outlet for the endless ramblings in my head, although still new to the blogging world, I find myself questioning what I should put out there in the online world and thus tend to hold back the worst of the psycho-spew.

I suppose I reserve my creativity in fear of not being good enough; from not having enough time to invest in putting some real effort in, or just not being accepted by my peers - I always come up with an excuse. This is something that I definitely can, and want to, eliminate.

No comments:

Post a Comment